Friday 14 December 2012

How Not Writing a List Turned into The Citrus Birthday Cake

I love lists
They rule my life. I make so many lists.
  • Shopping lists
  • to-do lists
  • Christmas present list
  • The 'I really would like this for Christmas please' list 
  • Baking lists
  • Recipe list
  • This list right now!!
You get the idea. I do these lists so that I can organise my time and not forget things. I've been so busy this year, as most people are, I've been extra busy due to coursework etc. I didn't write out a present list. Which is the most important list because it guides me on what gifts I need to get for Christmas and December Birthdays! 
I managed ok but sadly, I forgot my next door neighbours birthday.  I was running low on cash and I winged it. I did get her a shower set from the Body Shop but I felt so bad. 

Suddenly a thought occurred to me.... "Penny... you silly Christmas elf... you can bake her a birthday cake!" and I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to show off my baking skills and also she love cakes. I do often send her some random thing I've baked and she will always give me an honest opinion

So if she reads it, this is my confession. I didn't mean to forget your birthday Louise but at least I made you a lovely cake!

This recipe was adapted from an old vanilla recipe. You can add or take away the lemon juice and zest and replace with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. 

Recipe: Sponge
  •        225g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing
  •        225 caster sugar
  •        210g self raising flour, sifted
  •        25g cornflour
  •        1 teaspoon baking powder
  •        4 large eggs
  •        1 teaspoon lemon juice
  •        2 teaspoons Lemon zest
  •        3 tablespoons semi skimmed milk

Equipment:
  •        Sieve
  •        2 x 20 cm tins
  •        Greaseproof Paper
  •        Bowl
  •        Mixer
  •      Grater

 1.    Preheat oven to 180c/350f/ Gas Mark 4 and line two 20cm cake tines with greaseproof paper.
2.    Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is pale and smooth. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the eggs to the creamed mixture, one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition, altering with the dry ingredients, and finally the vanilla extract and the milk. Beat well after each addition, but again don’t overbeat.
3.    Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until raised and golden brown, Insert a skewer in the centre of one of the cake- it should come out clean.

Recipe: Buttercream
  • 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Grated zest of 1-2 unwaxed lemons 2 teaspoons
  • 500g icing sugar, sifted
Equipment:
  •        Sieve
  •        Grater
  •        Bowl
  •        Mixer
  •     Piping bag and a star nozzle
  •     Palette knife

  1.     In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, lemon juice, zest and half the icing sugar until smooth-this can take several minutes using a electric hand mixer. Gradually add the reminder of the icing sugar and beat again until smooth and creamy. Decorate as you like. I used a palette knife to smooth the buttercream on and then piped rosettes on the top. 


  Bake On and Merry Christmas! 
  Penny 

Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...