Friday 8 August 2014

Fat Friday Week 3: Easy French Toast

Its that's time of week again... Its Fat Fridays on Cupcakes, Cake and Passion. Check me out with being so consistent! I'm thinking of making this a regular thing now since, its been 1 and 2 weeks now. I'm getting a more organised and more consistent with posting, now that uni is finished *phew*. I've had so many ideas for the blog that I've adopted a little notebook to jot the ideas down before my sieve-y mind forgets. Right, back to this weeks Fat Friday recipe.
 
I'm packing up my stuff to move from London down to Portsmouth to move in with my boyfriend. How do pack an entire wardrobe in one case, hmm. I'll have to work that somehow. But this is why I'm going for an easy quick recipe that can be prepped, cooked and served in a matter of minutes.
 
Classic French Toast is something I thought I had never made before, that is, until I saw the recipe! Its eggy bread (a savoury stale bread dish), which is something my Grandad eats! So I'm guessing this isn't a modern idea. Anyways, French Toast (also known as Pan Perdu *I think that's how its spelt* *Checks Google* Yes that's the one) is made using stale bread. Using stale bread allows more of the batter to be absorbed and its a good way to avoid wastage. I believe its meant to be a breakfast dish, but it can be used as a dessert dish as well.
So if you've got a craving for something sweet and impressive and need to use the bread before it starts to get a little gross-French Toast is here to save the day!


Recipe: Serves 2 or 1 greedy person (Adapted really loosely from BBC Food Website)

  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 100ml Almond Milk
  • 1 tbsp icing sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 slices white bread
  • 2 tablespoons butter, for frying
  • Your favourite fruit  or topping (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries are nice)
  • Honey, Maple syrup or Chantilly cream with a sprig of mint, is nice on top as well.
Equipment:
  • Frying Pan
  • Whisk
  • Bowl
  • Spatula
  • Chopping board
  • Knife
  • Plate

1.Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the milk, icing sugar and cinnamon until well combined.

2.Soak the bread slices in the mixture

3.Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the soaked bread for 2-3 minutes on both sides or until crispy and golden. Be cautious, the batter may spit at you while frying. (Its because this batter has no manners. Don't take offense that's what its like.)

4.Remove the fried bread from the pan and drain on kitchen paper and set aside to cool a little.


 5.Chop up the fruit, if desired
 6. Arrange the warm toast, nicely, on the plate. Top with your favourite topping and stuff face.


 
Talk about indulgent breakfast! You'll be getting extra brownie points if you serve breakfast in bed.
 
Have a great weekend and Happy Baking!




Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...