Wednesday 3 September 2014

Baking Basics 101 Infusing Milk or Cream

Welcome to another Baking Basics, this week we're looking at infusing milk or cream.
Why do this? Well its a simple natural way of infusing a flavour of a herbs, tea or spices without subjecting your biscuits and cakes to small grainy bits, which some people find unpleasant.

I will say that my Nana taught me the recipe how to do this and it went something like this:
1. Shove the milk/cream in the pan with the herbs or whatever and bring it almost to the boil. Done
2. Make a cup of tea.

However, I am one of those people who likes to have a recipe. I'm using the recipe provided in The Cake Book as its a simple recipe and its the closest recipe to what my nan uses. So here it is:

Ingredients:
  • 200ml whole milk/ double cream
  • 2-3 tablespoons of your chosen flavouring. Ideas can include mint, lavender, loose leaf tea, rosemary, thyme.
Equipment:
  • Small pan
  • Wooden pan
  • Strainer
  • Airtight container
1. Boil the milk on medium heat and bring almost to the boil.
2. Place the flavouring into the milk, stir and turn the heat down to low to simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Drain into an airtight container and leave to cool, then place in the fridge. Or use straight away in a recipe.

You don't have to limit this just cakes and bakes. I use this to make infused milk for smoothies. Instead of whole milk I use soy milk for my smoothies.

If there's a method you'd like to learn and want me to write about, please comment below or let me know on facebook or twitter with the hashtag #bakingbasics101



Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...