Thursday 25 September 2014

Penny's Top Ten Tips #6 Moving In

Nearly the weekend is upon us. Its within grasp but for now it's only Thursday and that means Penny's Top Ten Tips. This one is close to my heart.

I left home when I was 16 but I stayed with my grandparents to study hospitality and cookery at college. I then moved away for university as a fresher! I enjoyed the experience of meeting people and introducing myself to the uni scene. However, my fun experience was cut short as a family member ended up in hospital and it was looking grim... It turned out fine and the family member made a full recovery. It was an eye opening miracle and I wasn't ready to fly the nest after that, so I moved back with my grandparents until graduation. Its only in my early twenties, that I've decided to take the plunge with Rob (the boyfriend) and move in together. I'm a total fresher* when it comes to really looking after myself, but lucky for me, I've got a very patient and supportive boyfriend. So here is my list on moving into your first rented house...
(*Doesn't mean I'm totally incompetent at looking after myself.)

1. The move won't get done in a day-
Don't be under the illusion that you will be all done with the unpacking in an afternoon. It will be a slow and gruelling process finding where your stuff is going to live and what stuff you forgot to pack... Trust me on this, don't rush the unpacking process it will take a little time, depending on how much you have, set aside a couple of hours a day to unpack a little at a time. 


2. Bring some cleaning materials-
When moving in, I cleaned the place from top to bottom. It was more like a mass sterilisation of the place. But the previous tenants left the place in a state, so we didn't have much choice. Here's the list (within the list) of cleaning products that I recommend that you take (just in case):
  • Mop and mop bucket
  • Indoor brush
  • (outdoor brush if needed)
  • White clothes
  • Washing up bowls
  • Washing up liquid
  • Bleach
  • Bleach spray
  • Window cleaner
  • Cleansing Surface Wipes
  • Scrub brush
  • Green scrub cloths
  • Toilet brush
  • Bathroom cleaner
  • Paper towels

3. Take pictures-
Make sure you take any pictures of any damages, the gas and electric meters. This is to avoid any shocking bills that you may be send, if and when you move out (This will also get your deposit back if you live student accommodation).

4. Get to know your landlord/lady-
Be polite, get their number and get to know them a little, without being a stalker. Unless its a real emergency, treat them like you would an office, call from 9-5pm Monday-Friday. Why? Because no one wants a call at 8pm at night asking how to switch the oven on. When you have an issue its alot more easier to deal with a landlord that likes you. 

5. Family Help-
If your lucky enough to have parents to help you move in, let them. Moving into a place is not the easy and taking advantage of all the help you can will save you lots of time and effort in the long run. Also they may have some knowledge about certain electrical items or how the boiler works perhaps? Its harder to explain that over the phone. 

6. Sort out the bills and suppliers-
The faster you get bills sorted, the better. No-one wants a threatening letter from the water company about that unpaid bill that you got...about 6 months ago...

7. Scope the area-
Does your area have a convenience store? A near-by doctors surgery? Its a good idea to look around your new area to see what is near you. If you haven't got much near you, get to know where the nearest public transport is. 

8. Get to know the neighbours-
I think this is quite important because if you blank your neighbours, they will blank you. What will happen if your missing post and its going next door? But you have no clue about it because you weren't nice enough to introduce yourself to your neighbours in the first place, so they can't return your letters to you! Just exchange pleasantries and see where it takes you. You may find yourself a good friend in the process.  

9. Don't forget your friends-
Once you've moved in tell your friends where you've gone by sending them a change of address cards. It might be worth throwing a house party to show off your new house and to invite your friends to party!

10. Make it your own-
Photo frames of loved ones, pillows, flowers will make your new home more, you. The more little touches you add to your house, the more it will feel like a comfortable place to live. It will take a little time for your new place to feel comfy and homey. 

How did you feel when you first moved? Do you have any tips for moving in?



Bake On! Penny x

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...